Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Immunology
Head of the laboratory, MD, PhD
David Poghosyan, PhD
Senior laboratory assistant
Our research focuses on understanding the molecular and cellular mechanisms in innate immunity which contribute
to the pathological conditions such as cancer, autoimmunity and autoinflammation. We are particularly studying the
complex interactions of innate immune cells and the cells of adaptive immunity, with a special focus on how
neutrophils shape the microenvironment and influence activity of surrounding cells. Another field of interest is the
population of anti-phospholipid autoantibodies, their pathogenic influence on immune cells and contribution to the
pathogenesis of antiphospholipid syndrome (APS).
Current Research Projects
- «Molecular mechanisms of antiphospholipid antibody pathogenicity and development of targeting therapeutic
strategies preventing autoimmune reactions in antiphospholipid syndrome», SC RA / 21AG-1F072
«Pattern recognition receptors as key checkpoints of environmental factors in triggering of rheumatoid arthritis»,
SC RA – RFBR / 20RF-112
1. Manukyan G, Kriegova E, Slavik L, Mikulkova Z, Ulehlova J, Martirosyan A, Papajik T. Antiphospholipid
antibody-mediated NK cell cytotoxicity. J Reprod Immunol. 2023 Feb;155:103791. doi:
2. Manukyan G, Gallo J, Mikulkova Z, Trajerova M, Savara J, Slobodova Z, Fidler E, Shrestha B, Kriegova E.
Phenotypic and functional characterisation of synovial fluid-derived neutrophils in knee osteoarthritis and knee
infection. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2023 Jan;31(1):72-82. doi: 10.1016/j.joca.2022.09.011
3. Martirosyan A, Poghosyan D, Ghonyan S, Mkrtchyan N, Amaryan G, Manukyan G. Transmigration of
Neutrophils From Patients With Familial Mediterranean Fever Causes Increased Cell Activation. Front Immunol.
2021 May 17;12:672728. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2021.672728
4. Margaryan S, Witkowicz A, Arakelyan A, Partyka A, Karabon L, Manukyan G. sFasL-mediated induction of
neutrophil activation in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. PLoS One. 2018 Jul 19;13(7):e0201087. doi:
5. Manukyan G. and Aminov R. Update on pyrin functions and mechanisms of familial Mediterranean fever.
Frontiers in Microbiology 2016; 7: 456. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2016.00456